This WFR course equips participants with the knowledge and skills to evaluate medical emergencies and respond appropriately. This course is for guides, outdoor educators, those working in remote areas, as well as recreational adventurers.
Quick Start Kayaking Class
Availability: May 19th through September 7th
Booking: Call to book only
- From :
- $ 120
Learn to Kayak in Beautiful Seward, Alaska
Our Quick Start kayaking class is a great way for beginners to learn basic paddling skills and concepts, strokes, bracing techniques, and re-entry methods. There is no touring involved in this class, just instruction. We’ll put you in a drysuit, take you to the beach, and get you comfortable with the concepts and ideas while on the beach.
After you learn the basics, we’ll head offshore in Resurrection Bay and put these concepts into motion. By wearing drysuits, everyone can actually get in the water to practice re-entries and rescues. We can also cater this class to paddlers who have some experience already, and just want to refresh their skills and abilities.
Itinerary & Information
- After the on-water session, you’ll return to the kayak shop to cover tides, wind/weather/waves, Leave-No-Trace, bear safety and food storage, and other important information that pertains to your safety and knowledge while kayaking
- We can run the class most days, as long as we have an instructor around. Please call in advance to set a date. We have a minimum of two people, and you’ll meet at our office at 328 3rd Avenue at 7:15 a.m.
- Usually, you’ll return to the shop around noon (give or take depending on how things are going). From there, you’ll probably spend an hour or so discussing the topics listed above
- We are happy to cater this class to your personal needs. If you will be paddling your own double, and want to learn about re-entries, etc from a double – we’re happy to cover that
- If you’ll be planning a trip in this area on your own, we’re happy to help with itinerary, water sources, camping beaches, etc. so please let us know what your goals for the day are, and we will do our best to make sure we meet them
For these trips, we ask you to wear synthetic layers of clothing – because cotton and jeans get really cold if they get wet. We also ask that you bring a raincoat and rain pants, since this is a coastal rainforest! We have rain gear for rent at our shop, should you need it.
Your feet might get wet when launching or landing, so please bring footwear that will keep you warm, that you’re comfortable walking in, and that you don’t mind potentially getting a bit wet (water sandals, running shoes, hiking boots, are all fine options).
If it seems like a cold day, we rent pogies (neoprene mitts for your hands while kayaking) which will keep your hands much warmer and more comfortable while you’re out there. You’ll also want to be sure to have your own bottle of water, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
If you do not have your own waterproof rain jackets and rain pants, we happily rent them at the kayak shop. Rain jacket rentals are $10.00 each, and rain pant rentals are also $10.00 each.
- If you cancel more than 30 days prior to your scheduled trip, we will refund you in full minus a $10 per person booking fee for half & full day trips or a $25 per person booking fee for multi-day trips.
- If you cancel 15-30 days prior to your scheduled trip, we will charge the card on file 20% of the total invoice.
- If you cancel 7-15 days prior to your scheduled trip, we will charge the card on file 50% of the total invoice.
- If you cancel within 7 days of your scheduled trip, we will charge the card on file the entire amount of your invoice.
For more information regarding our policies, click here.
We strongly advise purchasing a travel protection plan (see Travel Insurance below).
Why is travel insurance so important?
In today’s dynamic travel environment, it’s important to protect your travel investment so you can relax and enjoy your trip. Unforeseen events such as flight delays, a sudden sickness or injury, or even baggage loss could impact your travel plans. Cancellation fees can range up to 100% of the trip cost, depending on the date and particular trip for which you’ve been holding spaces. For your convenience, we’ve partnered with GoReady Travel Insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For more information on available plans, click here.