Efforts To Be Green
We have always tried to run our business and tours with environmentally friendly practices at the forefront of our operations.
This year we have decided to take extra efforts to work toward a "greener" workplace. Here are some of the things we have done, and are doing...
- We are Green Star certified, and do our best to uphold their policies and constantly strive to create a more environmentally friendly workplace.
- We hold a Gold Star certification with Adventure Green Alaska.
- For every guest we take kayaking, we donate $2 to Alaska Wind for Schools to help fund wind turbine installations and renewable energy education at schools across Alaska. Last year, we donated over $5,300 to this cause... all thanks to the people who chose to kayak with us!
- We are members of Leave No Trace and all of our guides both practice and promote Leave-No-Trace ethics while in the field.
- We have chosen to offer trips in a sport that has very little impact on the environment.
- We choose not to have campfires on multi-day trips, since it's hard to do a proper Leave-No-Trace fire. The rocks often turn red and inevitably leaves an impact.
- We pack out all waste from the backcountry, including our solid human waste, in an effort to reduce our impact on the fjords.
- We include guest speakers and presentations on climate change in our guide training.
- We encourage our guides to minimize water and electricity usage around the shop. Our goal is to cut energy consumption by 25%.
- We've eliminated the use of paper cups on our trips in an effort to reduce waste.
- We recycle everything we can - from paper and plastics to batteries and computers; we also use a composting system for food waste.
- We use recycled office paper, toilet paper, paper towels, and garbage bags.
- All of our cleaning products, laundry detergents, fabric softeners are envrionmentally friendly.
- All of our gear purchases are made with the environment in mind - for example, we recently purchased all new drybags that are PVC free.
- We've replaced almost all of the lights in the house with the most energy efficient flourescent lighting.
- We've replaced many of the windows in the house, and intend to replace the rest.
- We rarely use heat during the summer months at the kayak shop.
- We sell water bottles, coffee mugs & tote bags in our shop, with the hope of lessening the use of plastic disposable bottles, paper coffee cups & plastic bags. Green up your vacation!